ORGANIZATION: Floyd County
STATUS: Part-time (28 hr/ week)
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WAGE: $14.35/ Hour
The following essential job functions comprise a summary of job duties, requirements, and responsibilities contained in the job description prepared for this position. The job description will serve as the primary document in the selection and hiring process; and constitutes the context for incumbent job performance and evaluation.
- Investigates and responds to septic and sewage complaints;
- Performs routine inspections of food-service establishments;
- Investigates and responds to food-borne illness reports;
- Investigates and responds to animal bite incidents;
- Takes public complaints regarding potential code violations;
- Investigates hazardous waste spills upon notification;
- Conducts a variety of miscellaneous tests and inspections;
- Maintains file documentation for complaint investigations;
- Answers telephone and assists office visitors with concerns;
- Maintains communication with personnel from State and County agencies to advise them of problems in their jurisdiction;
- Attends educational workshops or seminars;
- Responds to emergency calls on a 24-hour basis;
- Testifies in court, as required;
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Must be enrolled in college in either Chemistry, Biology, or related fields or have a related college degree.
- Ability to conduct investigations, perform testing and sampling procedures, and assure compliance with law;
- Knowledge of standard practices and principles of public and environmental health science/regulation;
- Knowledge of Department standard operating procedures;
- Ability to read, research, and interpret blueprints, project plans and specifications;
- Ability to properly use and maintain assigned equipment;
- Ability to effectively communicate, cooperate, and resolve environmental health violations;
- Ability to maintain current professional knowledge;
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information;
- Ability to work extended time and irregular hours;
- Ability to respond to emergency calls 24-hours/day.
- Ability to obtain a standardized food service and retail food service inspection officer certification;
- Ability to legally drive a motor vehicle.