INSTRUCTIONS FOR WASHING PRODUCE
· Wash your hands for 20 seconds with warm water and soap before and after preparing fresh produce.
· Cut away any damaged or bruised areas before preparing or eating.
· Gently rub produce while holding under plain running water. There’s no need to use soap or a produce wash.
· Wash produce BEFORE you peel it, so dirt and bacteria aren’t transferred from the knife onto the fruit or vegetable.
· Use a clean vegetable brush to scrub firm produce, such as melons and cucumbers.
· Dry produce with a clean cloth or paper towel to further reduce bacteria that may be present.
· Throw away the outermost leaves of a head of lettuce or cabbage.
· Promptly consume cut melon or refrigerate promptly. Keep your cut melon refrigerated at, or less than 40 degrees F (32-34 degrees F is best), for no more than 7 days.
· Discard cut melons left at room temperature for more than 4 hours.